Head of Art: Colin Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Art Department aims to provide a curriculum which:
- Enables all students to find success in Art. This could be through attainment, improved mental health or through the acquisition of life skills.
- Instils a passion and appreciation for the subject with all students, so that they can understand the value and benefits of Art.
- Develops an invaluable set of life skills which can be drawn upon in any scenario in the Art room and beyond. These skills include resilience, confidence, self-expression, patience and, most importantly,
- Progressively builds a range of artistic skills, knowledge and understanding throughout a student’s time at school.
- Introduces students to various Art styles from a diverse range of artists from different cultures and times.
- Creates an aspirational and ambitious culture for all students.
Art Clubs at SWR focus on more ambitious work and skills which are also fun and engaging. Students sometimes will create personal work based upon a certain theme to take home. Students also have the opportunity to create larger collaborative mural work which will be displayed in SWR School and beyond.
The Art room has an open door policy during lunchtimes.
The Big Picture
Students are delivered 1 hour of Art per week with homework’s set at various points throughout each term.
The Art Department aims to deliver a rich and broad KS3 curriculum by:
- Creating Schemes of Work which are accessible and enjoyable, which cater for all ages, abilities, genders and tastes.
- Continuously impressing the idea that Art is not just for talented students who are seeking a career in it.
- Creating Schemes of Work which allow students the freedom to express themselves and to produce more varied personal responses within the boundaries of the topic.
- Designing a Key Stage 3 Curriculum that enables students to revisit particular skills at gradually more advanced levels throughout their 3 years. The skills will be built upon at Key Stage 4.
- Delivering more lengthy KS3 projects which allow students to learn about topics more in depth.
Teaching high quality lessons, every lesson.